We are fast approaching the end of our “official” school year and I’m about finished collecting various materials I think we will need for the next school year. Our youngest is starting K5 and our oldest will be in 2nd grade. For those who might be interested here is a list of the curriculum I plan to use next year.
For our 2nd Grader:
- Horizons Reading & Phonics (Alpha & Omega)
- Horizons Spelling & Vocabulary
- Shurley English Grammar
- Horizons Math grade 2
- Purposeful Design Science
- Science for Christian Schools (BJU Press) – as a supplement
- Abeka Social Studies grade 2
- Story of our World (History) – after we finish the Abeka book
For our Kindergartener:
- How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
- Abeka flash cards & phonics book
- Bob Books (early readers)
- Explode the Code book C
- No specific book for Math, but we’ll be working on Counting to 100 and beginning addition.
- Abeka Science K5
I’d like to explain that though I’m using some Abeka books and materials, I’m actually not a huge fan of the Abeka program. I feel that they have a solid phonics program, but their readers for 1st-2nd grade are severely lacking in fun & interesting stories. The quickest way to discourage a beginning reader is to force them to read dull, boring material. The Abeka science & social studies books that I’ve seen so far tend to be lacking in depth (in my opinion of course). For this past year I used both the 1st grade and 2nd grade Abeka science books plus many books from the library to supplement.
I’m excited about our youngest starting Kindergarten and I’m sure she will continue enjoying to learn with her brother. We typically do all of our science & social studies lessons together so she will have plenty of chances to absorb information that may be a bit over her head.
So, what are you planning for the upcoming school year?